Skip to main content

Tick Tock Clarice

So there's been a bit of a lapse on the blogging front. Well, quite an epic lapse on the blogging front. It's not been a fun few months from a personal perspective, and that's made it next to impossible to string a coherent sentence together. And before anybody (probably Jason Foothill) says anything, yes that is different to normal...

I was originally planning to post an article on getting ready for your first event. What you need to bring, what to look for etc. But before you take that step, there is something you need to be ready for – playing on the clock.


First and foremost, don’t rush into clock play. It’s something you should only look at once you’re confident enough with the rules to be considering going to events, and you complete your games in around two hours. But if you feel you’re ready, go for it!

Should you come from the Warmahordes world, you’re probably used to clocks by now. To the rest of us though, the clock is a new thing to be regarded with suspicion. “What the **** is that and is it going to cost me points?”


The short answer to that is that it could possibly cost you points, and it will definitely make you think more about your play. But having gone through a few games on it now, I can honestly say that having the thing there does actually add to the experience. It removes any possibility of slow play, something which can blight competitive games, forcing both players to make their decisions relatively quickly.

How does it work? It’s actually relatively simple. In a competitive game of Guild Ball, each player has 45 to 50 minutes of clock time in which to play the game. If you’re doing something with your team, your clock will be running, and likewise for your opponent. If like me you remember the days of Garry Kasparov v Nigel Short on Channel 4 with the pair of them hitting the clock button once they’ve made their move, it’s not that different. Once you’re done with a model, hit the button on the clock, and your opponent is up.


Just one reminder – remember to press the damn button to put your opponent on the clock! I am terrible for forgetting to do that, and I’m on the verge of getting a tattoo on the back of my hand that reads ‘CLOCK! WANKER!’. I still haven’t ‘clocked out’ – the phrase for when you run out of time before the game is over – but I’ve come a lot closer than I should have done.


There are times where the clock is paused, namely kicking the ball out, the maintenance phase and if a rules query comes up. Don’t worry if you need to look something up as that won’t be on your clock time.

Another thing to keep an eye out for are counterattacks and other similar moments when your opponent interrupts your turn to do something. When that happens you should make sure that they’re on the clock not you. Otherwise (not that anyone would actually ever do this, but as a hypothetical situation) they could sit there shaking their dice for half an hour running you out of time. You don’t want that happening – clock time is a valuable thing.


If you do run out of time before the end of the game, this is known as ‘clocking out’. It’s not the end of the world but it will really ratchet up the pressure. Should this happen, your opponent gains 1VP at the end of each of your activations, and you only have 60 seconds per activation. Go over this, it’s dice down immediately and your opponent takes over. Like I say, it’s not world ending, but be aware that clocking out isn’t a fun thing to have happen.

For all that, even as a rookie I haven’t yet clocked out in any of my timed games. It was initially a worry and for the first couple of games I was acutely aware of the sound of ticking, Thereafter though I’ve been fine. Other than pressing the button (CLOCK! WANKER!) I don’t tend to dither anyway. My opponents have 3 times, and to be honest I was winning those games anyway so it didn’t make much of a difference.


One thing that I have found that seriously impacts your clock management is whether your team plays football or is there for a punch-up. Going for takeouts, you could need half a dozen rolls per player you want to take out, and your opponent has the chance to counter or defensive stance. Scoring a goal is mostly positional play and then one dice roll - I know that’s a gross oversimplification and that positional play is very tricky to pull off, but I stand by the principle. As a Union player I find myself with much less time on the clock playing a veteran Rage ‘raargh kill everything’ game, compared to playing the beautiful game with Brisk3t.


For that reason, in an event I’d probably look at playing for 1 goal and 4 takeouts with a veteran Rage or Butchers team, or playing for a 1-4 game to use the technical term. Getting a goal will take the pressure off needing to steam through the entire opposing team. With football players, like Brisk3t for Union or the Fishermen, you’re probably going for that 3-0 (3 goals, 0 takeouts). Most teams, though, will be aiming for 2-2 if they can, or least looking like that's achievable.

So hopefully, o handy reader such as you are, this has been a useful introduction on the clock. Ultimately it’s a familiarity thing – if you know what you want to do and you can do it, you have absolutely nothing to fear from the clock. And having it there means you can avoid those horrible games where time is called and absolutely nothing has happened. Y'know, like any game involving Mourinho's United...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opening the Casket - Introducing the Season 4 Mortician's Guild and Ratcatcher's Guild!

So as you’ve hopefully spotted via some new shiny graphics, this blog is now part of the BeardMinis Media Network. Which is a very grandiose way of saying that I’m good mates with the Beard so I get to go on his podcast, and he and Conor can write blog posts. Vintage Ritch – he has a media network before he has a decent outro… As I'm part of BeardMinis, that means I can post about the season 4 Mortician’s Guild and Ratcatcher’s Guild. You may have seen another post Never Mind the Podcast – that one is literally just the cards for season 4. Head over there if you want to see the new shiny without our waffle. If, on the other hand, you’d like to see some comparisons and some commentary, step this way! Obulus Season 3 Season 4 Very detailed, this one. Changes, nil. Obulus’ control over the world of Guild Ball is such that he doesn’t need to worry about season 4. It turns out he was already perfect. All joking aside, Obulus was very much a captain that

Edge of Reason - Model Review

Hello world!  Since this blog has been subsumed into the Beard Media Empire I’m sure I’m supposed to put something in here about ‘handy readers such as you are’. I'll pass though - even though most of my trademarks involve creative swearing, I'm going to try and fill out a post without borrowing Ritch's... So we’re here to look at a new rookie model from the Free Cities Draft. Us media types were lucky enough to receive review models from this wave of releases, and as I’ve always had a soft spot for Skatha and crazily dodging strikers, I went for Edge of the Hunter's Guild. And I’ll be honest, I think I got lucky, because this is a beautiful model and arguably the pick of the wave. These rookie models are available as singles, and they’re produced in resin. I’ve worked on a great deal of the Steamforged resin models, from the alternative Navigators Angel and Siren through to the 3rd captains like Corbelli and Rivet. Edge felt very different to work with –

Tooling Up

Right then. The first post with some actual useful Guild Ball content on it!  It seems appropriate at this point to look at the resources that are out there for beginners and what you really need to get started. I fully accept this won’t be an exhaustive list, but it will include the bits I’ve found useful and the ones I’m aware of.  So first and foremost. You want to play some Guild Ball but have literally no idea where to start.  My initial advice would be to look for a Pundit local to you. Pundits are essentially the people who’ve signed up with Steamforged Games, the producers of Guild Ball, to give demonstration games and run events. They get cool shiny toys and encouragement for doing this so don’t feel in any way awkward about getting in touch!.  You can find the list of Pundits here , no matter where you are in the world! Scroll down to the bottom to find the lists. This was actually how I got my first games under my belt. I live near Northampton in